[LRflex] Re: New Orleans Sight

  • From: Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:19:50 -0600

Bill's shot is nice because it shows one of the details that make New
Orleans different.  You can put iron lacework up someplace, but it is the
peculiar mix of sight, sound, smell, light, that makes the city what it is.

Kinda like the difference between chicken gumbo and chicken soup.

The benches are a relatively new re-addition to Jackson Square. You'll note
they have separations to keep people from reclining in them.  In the Hippie
years, they removed all the benches and finally closed the square itself at
night because it had become a giant bedroom.

I worked at WWL-TV in the French Quarter for many years, and  often lunched
on Jackson Square.  The restaurant in the background has changed names many
times, but the Lucky Dogs vendors have been there forever.  Pretty good hot
dogs, made up the way you like on the spot.  They roll out in the mid
morning, and depending on location, stay late into the night.

I live about four hours away now, but will be visiting my son Adam and his
lovely cajun wife Savanna this weekend.  He works at the New Orleans
Marriott, so we'll stay there, about a five block walk from Jackson Square.

Not far away from this spot is the Moonwalk, overlooking the Mississippi
River.   That's the first place I kissed Kathy, 29 years ago.   We got
married a few weeks later.

Funny how a picture can spark some memories, huh?

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com