[LRflex] Re: National Geographic photo-contest controversey

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 04:37:23 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Troy Freund wrote:

        Wondering if you lot heard about the National Geographic photo-contest
winners and the bit of hub-bub around it.  A stitched-photo panorama won the
$10,000 grand prize and some talk has been going on around whether a
manipulated photo should win the Grand Prize or not, particularly in a contest
sponsored by National Geographic.  What do you think?
http://pdnpulse.com/2010/12/ngs-photo-contest-winner-does-it-look-real-to-you.html
<<<

I don't have a problem with HDR or stitching as long as the purpose of using
these techniques is to convey the image as it appeared to the photographer.
HDR compensates for a technical limit imposed by the tools, and stitching is
another way of getting a wide view.  NG has used stitched photos in the
magazine for many years.

What I have a problem with is the contest rules that grant NG the perpetual
right to use all submitted photos in any way they see fit.  A $10,000 grand
prize would be sweet but the odds of holding a winning lottery ticket may be
just as good as the odds of winning the grand prize and with the lottery I
don't give my photos away (and for the record I don't buy lottery tickets
either).

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com