[LRflex] Re: More practice with my Fisheye

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 08:00:53 -0700

Thanks guys. I really wish it had come I time for the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque, but no such luck. Not sure if I will ever go back there for that event. I drag the fisheye with me to try it under different situations to see what it might do. Some are definite no go, but some, like these, have some possibilities in my mind, so I post to see if those possibilities are just in my mind or if others can see it, too.

Aram

-----Original Message----- From: David Young
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:22 PM
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: More practice with my Fisheye

Good Afternoon, Bill, Aram:

First of all, I agree with you, Bill, that a little 9mm fisheye goes a long way.

Secondly, I carry a small (and I do mean small - just 30.4 grams or <1.1oz) fisheye by Olympus. It's only f8 and cost just $99. It has a 140 degree FoV, and is remarkably sharp, thanks to it's two asph. elements.

I rarely use it, but when your back is against the wall, it will often bail you out, when nothing but a fisheye can.

But the best part is that a piece of low cost software (PTLens) has a "fisheye slider" that can often, but not always, restore a fisheye view to a rectilinear view.

Here is a hotel room shot (first shown here, back in '14) that Rose wanted me to make. I used the fisheye.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/Banff_1.html

And here it is, again, after reworking with the slider. (A 7 second procedure.)

http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/Banff_2.html

All that being said, Aram, I think you've used your Rokinon well. Interesting shots!

David.

Aram,

Let's start with true confessions:

I had a similar fish-eye for a few years some time back but I found so little use for it in my type of photography that I sold it. My taste turned out to be that a little goes a long way.

Yours looks like a nice, competent fish eye, ready for when its use will enhance a shot.

When you need it, nothing else will do, and you're lucky to have it. I hope you enjoy it.

Best,

Bill

On Mar 19, 2016, at 11:52, Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Rokinon 12mm f2.8 on my Nikon D750.  this is one amazingly sharp
lens, especially for the price.  View these large if you would like.

So, I took the lens to Spokane's Riverfront Park, site of the 1974 World's
Fair (Sorry NY, Spokane was the official World's Fair).  The remnants of
the USA Pavilion is the only official building still standing, by design.
It is still in winter mothballs, but they are starting to get the park ready for
spring.  Here are a few shots around the pavilion.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/sp/Riverfront+Park-8041.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/sp/Riverfront+Park-8041.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/sp/Riverfront+Park-8049.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/sp/Riverfront+Park-8050.jpg.html

And this one with the bunny,
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/sp/Riverfront+Park-8051.jpg.html

A bridge over the river
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/sp/Riverfront+Park-8059.jpg.html

And a vendor across the street
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/sp/Spokane-8064.jpg.html

I thought the fisheye was not bad for this portrait.  I know there are
background issues with signs and people, but let me know if you thing the
fisheye was acceptable for this shot.

Comments welcome

Aram

Aram
Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed
photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than
Darwin himself would ever have dared dream." James D. Watson

Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.net/
Archives are at: