[LRflex] Re: Mockingbird - Way OT!

  • From: William Abbott <bill2301@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:13:15 -0700

Way OT!

On Apr 2, 2013, at 6:26 AM, Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's a little something different.  As I was leaving for work this morning,
> a Mockingbird was entirely too cheerfully singing his heart out, so I caught
> a chorus for you on MP3 audio.
>
> It will take a moment to load, so be patient. Hope you like it.
>
> http://sonc.com/look/?p=2661

Sonny,

I liked the song very much because I grew up with mockingbirds in Florida,
where they would attack our cats ferociously, and they sing very well here in
California too.

Here is an apochryphal story from Florida.

It seems that after the Bok Tower and gardens were built at Lake Wales, Florida
(see http://boktowergardens.org) someone thought that nightingales would
provide lovely night time songs in the gardens so a large aviary was built and
nightingales were imported from Europe.

All went well for a while but then nightingale songs began to spread far and
wide, puzzling the bird's keepers, because as far as they could tell, no
nightingales had escaped from the aviary.

It soon became apparent that the spread of nightingale songs to the surrounding
territory was due to wild mockingbirds that had learned the distinctive
nightingale songs and had begun to imitate them.

Best regards,

Bill