[LRflex] M8 - A user Report

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:59:27 +0100

--

Hello All!

I've had the pleasure of using a pre-production new Leica M8 for the
last week, prior to departing for Paris.  (I had to give it back on
the way to the airport!)

Sorry I couldn't tell you about it earlier, but I was sworn to
secrecy, until now..

I know that this is a reflex list, not an "M" list, but some of you
may be interested in the "real story".

The M8 is not only real, it's fabulous!  Time from switch-on until
it's ready to take a photo is faster than you can switch it on and
raise it to your eye.  The camera is a mere 1mm deeper than the
standard `M' cameras, and very easy to hold.

I would prefer to see a less "slippy" covering - the one used on the
the prototype is a very fine texture and a bit slippery.... however,
I did not manage to drop it... thank heavens!  I'd also like to see
some sort of thumb grip, as the lack of a wind lever means no place
to rest your thumb.  Something like that of the backs of the R6  or
R7 would be nice.  However, these are my ONLY complaints!  This
camera is everything one could dream of ... except for the ability to
use the 400 Telyt!

The rangefinder is standard issue Leica, which is to say, excellent.
There was no noticeable vignetting with the 21mm Voigtlander or the
35 Summilux.  ( I also got to use it with the 50 collapsible Elmar
and the 75mm  Summilux. - Many thanks to Henning Wulff for the loan
of the lenses.)

My favourite feature was the inclusion (I think) of an application
specific IC  (ASIC) which compresses the RAW files.  Although the
sensor is 10.3mb, vs the 10.2mb of the DMR, the files are only 10.5mb
in size, vs the 19.4mb of the DMR. This means they write in slighty
over half the time!

I am going to try to find out, in Solms, whether this can be
retrofitted to the DMR.  'Twould be nice!

Picture quality is excellent.  Regrettably, I cannot show you photos,
as this was part of the deal with Leica. You see, the firmware on my
tester was version 0.23 - very early!  Rightly so, as later versions
will undoubtedly do better.

However, suffice it to say that I have 8x12" print which are the
center portions of what would be 32x48" prints; and the detail and
sharpness is excellent.

More details, and more photos than have been published elsewhere, on
the net are available at  http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8.htm

I'll have more for you after we return from Photokina and the LHSA
meet in Wetzlar.  Perhaps earlier, if I can find suitable Internet
access, while travelling.

Whilst I have your ear, I want to publicly thank Alex Hurst for his
hospitality and use of his 'puter.  I wish also to thank Philippe &
Alice Armand for making the journey from Strassbourg to Paris to
spend a few, very enjoyable hours with us and Xavier, for being both
a gracious host and a marvelous tour guide, in Paris.

Best to you all.  More when I can.

David Young
Usually in Logan Lake, but now in Cork, Ireland.