[LRflex] Re: Leica 180 APO versus Nikkor 200

  • From: "Chris Birchenhall" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:53:01 +0100

A local dealer let me try out a 3-cam 180 Apo f3.4. I took it out on my SL2.
Yes it is a sharp lens, but you have to control contrast or use it where
contrast is not too demanding or high contrast helps with the photograph?
Here is one of my first shots on Superia 400, yes a common bird shot (wrong
group I know!); it was a dull day but the contrast here is in my view too
high.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7180494@N02/440574535/in/photostream/

Here is a simple detail from a canal boat; here the contrast helps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7180494@N02/440574541/in/photostream/

Needless to say I bought the lens!

Here one taken with the R8 and Velvia 50 where I have exploited the contrast
- I am a sucker for cloudscapes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7180494@N02/440574545/in/photostream/

I am wondering if this lens is not best for B&W? I will want to compare it
to the 80-200 f4 (with the latter at its 200 end). I don't have a Nikon 200
to compare.

Chris

Sent: 31 March 2007 07:15
To: leicareflex digest users

From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Leica 180 APO versus Nikkor 200
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:29:51 +0800

Dear Flavio,
In my experience the 180 APO is better - no question - in terms of
contrast, picture detail and colour rendition - but sometimes you
want something a little longer - and that is where the 200 comes in.
It is a very good lens in its own right but not in the same league as
the 180 APO.
Cheers
Howard