[LRflex] Re: [LRflex] Aërial photography

  • From: lkhermann <lkhermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:29:02 -0700

At 04:46 PM 1/15/2010, you wrote:
>Charlie,
>
>As a small airplane owner, have you done any aërial photography with the
>Leicas? I'm asking because I have a client who has his license and has
>offered to take me up. A cousin of mine some years ago offered to take
>me in his plane, but he had such a reputation for recklessness, I never
>accepted the offer. The client I have is super conscientious, so I would
>be comfortable flying with him.
>
>Jeff Gluck
Hi Jeff,

I was not addressed specifically, but I have used
Leicas taking aerial photos and found them to be
excellent.  The choice of pilot is most
important, but the choice of airplane is also
very important.  An airplane which has a window
which can open very much improves the resulting
image.  Open the window but stay out of the
slipstream and be cognizant of such things as the
struts on the wings and the landing gear.  These
items will ruin many an aerial photo.  I have
loved the M8 and generally get excellent photos
at f4 to f5.6 and iso 160.  My favorite lens is the 50mm 1.4 Summilux.

Sincerely

Lee K. Hermann