[LRflex] Re: L1-Vario- Couple of shots

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:42:45 -0800

David,

Thanks. I share your beliefs that (a) things definitely are improving
with experience at Leica, (b) others have the same problems with the
same physics (how could they not?), and (c) post processing can
resolve the occasional difficulty.

To be blunt, when using film, we stuff Mother Nature's full gamut of
radiation through lenses that work their own spectral transformation
into the film's gamut for all time, throwing away what won't fit, and
further trim the resulting gamut on screens or paper; we then ooh and
aah and call it "great photography."

With a digital sensor, we again stuff Mother Nature's full gamut of
radiation through our same transformative lenses, only this time we
capture a bit wider array of the radiation gamut in the sensor
(including some we cannot see!) and send it out as a raw image, ready
for further trimming, alteration, oohing, aahing, and head scratching.

The miracle to me is that the latter can so very closely mimic the
former, not that they are different in some respects; they have to be
different.

I have had several experiences where serious technical problems
suddenly arose and measures were devised to handle them. After a
while, when things had returned to normal, it became apparent that
the problem had not been resolved at all, but that the humans
involved had learned to live with it.

That is precisely the course I believe we all are on, learning to
live with the digital difference.

With warmest regards,

Bill