[LRflex] Kingfisher and Bittern

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:20:40 +0000

Hello Jerry
Many thanks for your comments. I had been trying for ages to get a good shot of the kingfisher. He usually sits on a post much closer to another of the hides, but there have been too many people watching out for him lately, and he seems to be keeping away. If the chance presents itself, I should get an even better shot of him! Not ideal photographing a 5 inch high bird at 50 metres away!!

The bittern was a chance shot. The fly so low, and are so well camouflaged, that even spotting one in flight is very difficult; fortunately, an experienced birdwatcher spotted it, and I quickly swung the camera round, did my best to track him, and pushed the button. And it came off, much to my surprise!! When I first looked at the photograph, I thought there wasn't a bird on it. I'm hoping that I get some better shots of the bittern as winter arrives, and all of the birds emerge more from the reedbeds looking for food.

Anyway, glad you liked them.
Cheers
Keith