[LRFlex] Introduction Howard Cummer in Hong Kong

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:40:04 +0800

Hello R lovers,
I am Canadian and have spent most of my adult life in Asia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Beijing and the last 11 years in Hong Kong - a great place to be to get good prices on Leica equipment! I am 61 and can retire in another year with full pension benefits, I presently sell Canadian potash to fertilizer manufacturers in China and Taiwan, and the business has been good to me and my family for the past 25 years. I am married with four children - all grown up and moved away to work or to attend university - three girls and a boy. No grandchildren yet. I started taking photos with a Kodak Brownie - back in the days when the prints came with scalloped edges, and progressed into rangefinders with an Argus C3 "the brick" in 1955. I took a detour into SLRs first with a Pentax spotmatic and then with a Nikon Nikkormat, and finally "came home" to Leica in the early 80's, first with a CL, then a Minolta CLE and then later with my first M6. I have also dabbled in medium format and have a Pentax 645 and two Rollei TLRs, a 2.8F and a rare Rolleiwide in pristine condition - none of these cameras see much use - since I turned to digital first with a Canon G1, then G5 and now a Canon D60 (where I use my R lenses on the Canon body) and last month a Lumix DC 1. I still have in the dry box a Nikon F2, an F4, the Rolleis, an M4, a Bessa R2, a Hexar RF, and a bag of Leica M lenses as well as an R8 and R6 bodies and five R lenses ranging from 28 to 180mm. I shoot pictures for use in my business (crop management and fertilizer use in China) and family happy snaps as well as recording the life around me. I am looking forward to Leica's deeper foray into the digital world as I really like the ease with which I can manage digital photos. I am running out of space to store negatives and prints!
Cheers
Howard
(in Hong Kong)

http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm