[LRflex] Re: Intro - yab

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:45:50 -0700

At 29/07/2007, you wrote:
Everyone,

Before adding to the thread Xavier Bille started on the 24 Elmarit, I probably should have introduced myself. My name is Bill Holtz; yab, yet another Bill. I am from St Louis Mo and have belonged to this forum for some time. I seldom post but I really enjoy the international flavor of this forum and I get inspiration from the posted photos; you guys do good work.

Some time back I contacted David Young and asked him for info on a Nikon scanner he had mention in a post. He kindly replied and requested I show some results. I did get the scanner and I thank David very much for the information and his encouragement. I am still on a learning curve as my results will show, but the scanner was just what I was looking for. Then when I replied to Xavierâ??s post on the 24 Elmarit, he too requested that I post examples of what I was getting at. So, I have placed a couple of albums on my web site www.williamholtz.com in reply. You will note that my site is intended only to share photos between family and friends. I am a bit more amateur than most of you; read that to mean you wonâ??t confuse my bird shots with those from Doug Herr.

Xavier, as added explanation, I realized problems using the 24 Elmarit on my 20D when I tried to make a stitched pano (I failed miserably). When selecting tie points at full resolution, features on the edge of one frame would be toward the center of the adjacent frame. The problem was obvious. What I called CA is probably not Chromatic Aberration inherent in the 24 Elmarit but, as Keith Longmore explains very well, induced by using a wide angle lens not designed for a digital sensor. I show two examples of this in the first two rows of the album. In spite of this I do still use the 24 on my 20D as shown in the bottom three rows. It is the widest lens I have, it is good for street photos (I think its performance is better in the close range), and I use it for snap shots through a window of a moving vehicle (where optical quality is not important).

Bill

G'Mornin', Bill~

Do we call you "YaB", or "Uncle Bill"???  ;-)

Glad your happy with the Nikon Scanner ...seems to be doing the job for you!

I'm short on time, but took a quick run through your shots ... they're very good!

You said:

I am a bit more amateur than most of you...

NEVER apologize! Your work is very, very good. Mine was, perhaps, not so good, when I first started hanging around on internet photo forums, back in 1994. But, by showing my shots, listening to others (and disregarding a few cranks), I have managed to grow in my photography, and am, today, a much better shooter. There are many here who are better than you or I, and we can all learn from them. That is the beauty of a forum such as this one!

From my quick look, and the small image sizes offered, I see little wrong with the 24 Elmarit on the 20D. (I'll look more closely when I'm back, in a week.

Certainly, I've not used the 24, but I do have Doug's old 21SA, and it worked fine on the DMR. I admit, however, to now using the 10~22mm Canon AF lens on the 30D for W/A work.