[LRflex] Re: In response to Steve B's comments

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:22:30 -0700

On Nov 13, 2007, at 7:55 AM, KEITH LONGMORE wrote:

Gentlemen
I repeat: at no time did I make a comparison between Steve B and anyone else, or Steve's work to anyone else's. The exchange between Ted and Steve sparked a thought in my mind, which I endeavoured to present on this forum for comment. (And virtually the same topic was raised in this week's British Journal of Photography by the Editor). OK, I used (descriptions of) photographs of nasty events to illustrate the point I was trying to make: the point was this. We all see photographs that are backed up by captions, or in the context for which they are intended to be viewed. Often, those same photographs, if viewed in isolation from their context, and/or minus any form of caption, would almost certainly be perceived differently by the viewer. Obviously we all subscribe to 'the picture worth a thousand words' theory; I believe that is only sometimes true. I used the large photograph at Auschwitz as a good example: without its caption, it is just a photograph of four little girls. With its caption it becomes shocking.

Is that such a terrible thing to say? Why should I apologise for saying it? And - most of all - how the Hell is that a comparison with Steve B and his work? The fact that it's a photograph of children? I sent two images to Charlie to illustrate the point: one a photograph of a woman being rescued from the bombed remains of her house in Hamburg, 1943; and the other of a dead 11-year old girl from Nanking, 1937. Both were graphic; but without the context and explanation, neither had, in my opinion, their full impact, especially the latter. And we had a sensible discussion about them.

Now, some of you clearly disagree with my view; but we are all entitled to our opinions. I thought it reasonable to solicit a (hopefully) range of opinion on the forum. The same thing is being sought by the Editor of the BJP, on the same subject.

I conclude that what is eminently acceptable in the BJP, a respected publication, is neither welcome, nor acceptable in this forum.

And, Steve, since you clearly object to my remaining a participant in this forum, perhaps you'd like to initiate a vote on it.

quoting Keith...

your words... "Thank you for your support, and the interesting discussions we have had before. I haven't taken a final decision yet, but I am no longer feeling positive about this forum. Incidentally, in the event, perhaps I SHOULD have compared Steve to John Rabe, who was a Nazi Party official - and if you know / read about him, you will understand why."

that is I believe your quote Keith... the one that inspired my response and my ire...

(and yes,  you are witless my friend...)

I have never been compared to a Nazi before... not even a "good Nazi"...

and in spite of your torrent of words, I don't accept it now...

and Keith, not even if you meant it as a compliment. There are better compliments.

and to the list members, I am sorry, I regret this peculiar interlude....I will have nothing further to say on this,

Steve

And, incidentally, for your and others' information, John Rabe, the chief of Siemens in Nanking, played the major part in saving hundreds of thousands of Chinese from the Japanese massacre of the inhabitants of Nanking in 1937 - despite being the local Nazi party organiser. ------