[LRflex] Re: In interesting article (for gear-heads only)

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:09:10 -0700

joseph spinden offered:
Subject: [LRflex] Re: In interesting article (for gear-heads only)

> Actually, without getting lost in the graphs and technical discussion, I
> thought there was an interesting takeaway from the article:  You may not
> be getting what you think you are when you use a large aperture lens.
> Since these lenses are much heavier and more expensive, that should be
> significant for every photographer.

Hi Joseph,
My usual fun ranting about gearheads and gear stuff is due to my 60 year
career,  tedgrantphoto.com. Where a lens meant I could get something others
couldn't, providing they didn't have the same lens. Technical details? No
idea! Nor did I care.

My feeling in the very early days was as many amateurs go through..... "If
the super fantastic photographer "Joe what's his face" used an XYZ lens then
if I had that lens or camera, I could take the same excellent photos!"
WRONG!

As we all eventually learn, the lens or camera regardless of cost and size,
is only "as good as the photographer using it." The gear is meaningless if
one doesn't use it to take pictures learning HOW it & what it cuts in film
or card. Reading about it and all the technical facts are meaningless to a
photographer using it who shoots by the feelings in his or her gut at the
correct picture moment.

Generally during my years of 35mm, Leica predominently camera/lens use, I've
tried to shoot by the widest possible aperture and highest possible shutter
speed. Other than when I required greater depth of field. So much of the
techie numbers are meaningless because I learned by using, not by reading.
Let alone understanding what the numbers and graphs meant in any event?

So when people get into the techie numbers, facts and figures I usually make
fun of it. Yes I understand very well some folks find it all very
interesting and I have no problem with that. Too each his own.  But I've
always been a photographer first and foremost. And facts and figures only if
I absolutely have to know and understand them. I rarely do! :-) Maybe my
loss?

And given I've worked with most R Leica glass from the 15mm to the 800mm (
at the 1972 Munich Olympics.) Now that's a heavy lens when you can only work
with from a monopod. Tripods are forbidden as they take up too much room
when you have 3 or 4 hundred photographers all squeezed into a single photo
position. :-)  Now that's a location for group therapy if ever! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)