[LRflex] Re: IMG: Yellow-bellied Marmot

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:10:39 -0400

wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The Yellow-bellied Marmot (Marmota flaviventris), basically a large ground
squirrel, is a common sight in the western mountains, where it can be found
grazing on veggies, basking on rocks or logs, and when alarmed gives a
shrill whistle earning them the name "whistle pig".  Other North American
marmots include the Hoary Marmot of the northwest and Alaska, and the
Ground Hog in the eastern part of the continent.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/rodents/ybma03.jpg
Doug,
Lovely shot. Very cute critter. I'm curious. The lighting looks indirect, but the sky reflected in its eyes looks blue with scattered cloud covered. Am I confused? (probably:-)
   BTW, they are also called Woodchucks out east.

--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
 one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein