[LRflex] Re: IMG: Murals

  • From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:19:10 +0100

Thanks Bill, very valuable information indeed.

I knew the photo, but now I discovered it I prefer the mural, my taste of course as I long for colours after long winters for one, and I always admire artists who create some" thing"; there must be more life in their work I guess that appeals to me.

Thanks again

Amitiés
Philippe

Le 20 mars 13 à 02:06, William Abbott a écrit :

Philippe,

I'm sure you realize, but many may not, that Kobra's work is homage to Life photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt's famous photo of a sailor kissing a girl at the celebration in Times Square on August 15, 1945, when World War II ended in the Pacific. He was a Leica user, and his photo is widely available on the Web, such as at:

http://jewishcurrents.org/august-24-alfred-eisenstaedts-35-mm-leica-11693

and here for more about him:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Eisenstaedt.html

Disclaimer: When I was in high school my dad, who was a newspaper reporter and photographer, was also a stringer for Time, Inc. in Florida and was once tasked to meet Eisenstaedt at the airport, drive him to Lake Wales to photograph a presidential visit and return him to the airport for a return flight to New York. They got the job done.

"Stringers" are un-paid and on-call reporters and photographers who do odd jobs and are were originally paid by the number of column- inches of text that they contributed to the newspaper or magazine, measured by using a piece of string. I'm sure it is more sophisticated now but you get the idea.

Bill

On Mar 19, 2013, at 1:52 PM, philippe.amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx> wrote:

I like their vivid colours, and admire the talents of these artists, notably Kobra.

It starts here
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/NYC-2013/NYC-Mural-Education-7967.jpg.html

plus the next five to the right.

Bien cordialement de Metz
Philippe

One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.

NO ARCHIVE