[LRflex] Re: IMG: Common Goldeneye

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 23:58:17 -0500

Doug Herr wrote:
> I spent most of the morning watching a couple of pairs of Common Goldeneye
> ducks defending feeding territory.  I'll have several photos online
> eventually but here are a couple that made the sore frozen butt worthwhile:
>
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/L1250162.jpg
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/L1250170.jpg
>
> In both cases the males had just concluded an underwater battle over feeding
> 'turf' and the loser was making a hasty departure.
>
> technical stuff: R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt, shoulder stock & monopod, slight
> crop.  All comments welcome.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento

Doug,
    Fascinating, astonishing, beautiful.
    I'm trying to figure out why there is water where there is water behind
the foreground bird's wings in the 2nd image.  It looks like he's batting
his own body's wake aft with his wings to generate thrust.  Do they
do that?
    The most amazing thing is that in all that commotion in the first
image,
the eyes are in perfect focus, on an animal heading straight at you.
    What was it you said earlier about zeroing in on the focus on the
eye? :-)

--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
  one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein