[LRflex] Re: I am new here

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 10:03:12 +0200

Welcome to the crowd, John.
What is seldom mentioned is that the Leica to EOS adapters (and for many other lens mounts to EOS too) also work just as well with analog (film) Canon SLRs too.

There are plenty of adapters out there - with widely varying prices and qualities - probably the best (and most expensive) is from Novoflex, followed by Kindai (also available from Novoflex). So far I've tried manual focus Leica, Zeiss (C/Y mount), Rollei QBM, Yashica (M42 and C/Y), Pentax (M42) , Topcon (no infinity focus), Novoflex, and a load of Tamron, Vivitar, Sigma and the like, lenses on both DSLRs and SLRs from Canon with various degrees of success (depending on the lens quality). AFAIK, there are also adapters that will allow you to use Pentax-K and Nikon lenses on EOS cameras too. So, IMO, you can pick and mix the best lenses of a whole range of manufacturers - most of which can be had for very little investment of funds on the second hand market.
Cheers
Douglas

Philippe AMARD wrote:
Welcome John,

and congratualtions on your long career as a photographer lined up with a personal taste for photography after so many years.
You're a man of experience from what I read.
Digital; never try! you might not come back to film - my experience and others' here and there. Well, you ll see by yourself.

Canon to R adaptors? plenty on the famous bay, some with focus confirmation, others not - better with as the Rebel has such a tiny / dim VF.

Well again, happy you joined.
Any pointer/link to a site where you have photographs posted?

Bien amicalement
Philippe (du Bérêt de la Baguette dot France)
or
phx

John wrote:

Fellow R Shooters:
Just a little note to introduce myself. My name is John, I have lived in Philadelphia all of my life. I work for the philadelphia police dept as a photographer supervisor. We do prisoner processing, some of the public event stuff and we handle the still photography for graduations and promotions. We are responsible for developing all of the film that police shoot during investigations, that is whats left of it. On the job we use Nikon digital and film cameras and every once in a while a medium or large fromat. Personally I shoot everything from 35mm to 8x10. I do most of my work in 35mm with Leica M and R cameras. I have been at this hobby/profession for about 40 years. rvrn though I love M cameras for their simplicity . I find myself more attracted to the R cameras there is jsut something about looking through an incredible peice of glass and composing on the ground glass. I have done over 600 weddings, a lot of portraits. still lifes, and scenics. But, what I enjoy the most is going to carnivals and public events. Just taking photos of people having fun. I am finally ready to give digital a try,( personally i dont think it will last, LOL) I am thinking of getting one of the new Canon Rebel XSi nad an adapter and using it with sof this Lieca glass I already own. are there more than one kind or brand of adapter out there. Thanks
John