[LRFlex] Re: Herons - Getting closer

  • From: "Robert Palmieri" <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:36:43 -0500

Folks -

Well, as regards the progress with heron-stalking I've thrown up a few shots
from April here in Chicago.  All are 400 6.8 w/stock, shutter speeds much
closer to the Art Tafil range than the Doug zone.

Got a ways to go, but it's a start... Interestingly, I have another version of
the sideview shot at f11 (I almost always shoot wide open with this lens.)  The
bird is definitely sharper under the 30x but the background in this shot is so
problematic already that the extra depth of field makes it even worse...

Bob Palmieri

www.pbase.com/bobsworld/herons

At 5/11/2004, you wrote:

>Doug,
>
>I don't know if I'm just a "Spaz" or what, but I cannot get a very sharp
>shot with my 400 telyt AND shoulder stock, hand-held, unless I'm shooting
>at 1/500 or faster with my R 6.2 & Motor Drive R.
>
>Art Tafil

Art:

My only secret is to breath out, just prior to releasing the shutter.  If
you hold your breath (the natural thing to do) you tense up and that makes
it more difficult to hold the lens steady.

Keep at it... it's a fabulous piece of kit, and works for me at down to
about 1/250 @ 800mm (w/2x) or 125th at 400mm.

Remember, like sex and piano, practice makes perfect!

Cheers!

David.

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm