[LRFlex] Re: Flowering Quince,Iris,Lily,Protea ..........

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <douglasmsharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:57:21 +0200

Thank you Aram,
the trick is to light them from the top front left, behind (an old white t-shirt stretched over a wooden frame reflects and transmits daylight from my window) and below (I stand them on a slide viewing table). Then get rid of the uneven bits of background with PS using selection, "soft light" fill and 3 steps of feathering to make the flowers luminously misty around the edges.
Metering was done on the highlights, I used inetgral selective and matrix as a test on each shot and picked out the one I liked best.
If I'd been doing this on film I would probably have been looking for a tree and a rope by now, not to mention the tension waiting to see what "develops". The "instant" images from the Canon 20D make life so easy.
cheers
Douglas

leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Douglas.
Great shots. The white (flowers) on white (backgrounds) are really impressive. Not an easy exposure to make.

As for the white? flowers, I am not sure what they are. Do you have a shot with more of the leaves? The stem and leaves look very carnation like, but the flowers are not like any carnation I have seen, but then again I have not seen many.

I have never thought of using a white background for flowers. It is quite impressive. Kind of like a studio shot of flowers, portraits if you will. I have always looked for the dark shadows to make them stand out, but, this is very effective.

Aram

From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <douglasmsharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Some more macro stuff - after raiding the local florists. Also trying out a Yashica 2.8/55mm macro lens fitted to the 20D for the shots of the flowering quince, I really like this lens. Otherwise, close-ups with the Macro-Elmarit 4/100,larger flowers with a Summicron 35mm.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150?page=2

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm