[LRFlex] Re: FS: Leica 28 F2.8 PC SUPER-ANGULON-R

  • From: Thomas Schofield <tdschofield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:12:21 -0800 (PST)

Someone BUY THIS LENS!!!!!  I already have one, and was scared to death when I
couldn't find it, unitl we reorganized our bedroom.  It is FANTASTIC!
Optically, and in use.  Many think of shift lens as a special lens for
arcitecture.  NOT SO!  I use it for landscape.  You probably don't realize it,
but every time you point your 28 or 24 up to get a mountain or tree, the
subject is distorted, making it thinner as it goes up, just like straight lines
of a building converge.  Using a shift lens makes those majestic mountains and
trees look as majestic as you see them in person.  Same thing with a downward
shift into a canyon!

I developed a realy fast working style with it.  When I use a tripod, I would
put a bubble level in the hotshoe.  Point the camera for horizontal direction,
then level out the bubble, and lock down the ball head.  Turn the shift screw
to frame vertically.  With the R8 set to mirror lock up.  1st clis of the
shutter release raises the mirror, second click 2-3 seconds later releases the
shutter.  Done.   You can handhold it, too, but the above technique with a
tripod is faster than tring to align everything by hand.

It's a Panoramic lens too!  Another technique, which I have shot some images
with, but haven't yet scanned and photoshopped, is to set up as above, aiming
for the center point of the desired panorama with the lens set at no shift.
Shift all the way to the right (or left) horizontally for frame one, then shift
all the way to the left (or right) for frame two.  There's a lot of overlap,
but when the images are assembled, mechanically or combined in photoshop, all
of the points will line up!  This is because the film plane is remaining in the
same position.

Convergence tools in software don't work as well as correcting in camera.  When
yo use software, it stretches the image out to a hey-hole shape, and then you
have to crop the image to make a rectangle out of the key-hole shape.  The
trouble is that since you cna't see this in camera, you have no way of knowing
whether you have framed correctly for post-processing so that you won't clip
corners.  For example, if you take a picture of a building without a shift
lens, then straighten the converging lines in softare, the top of the picture
is wider, and the bottom of the picture narrows, so you may not have enough
foreground to fill the width at the bottom.  This is not an issue with a shift
lens.

Erwin did a nice review on the optical quality, but not so much on
applications!

I have no interst in this transaction, just a fan of this great lens.
Interestingly, I noticed you can order the lens through B&H with
interchangeable mounts, but no mount is listed for Leica.  Maybe that's an
agreement Leica has with Schneider.

Tom Schofield

Scott Gardner <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am NOT the seller, but have corresponded with him and he has a good
reputation. The lens offered is relatively rare on the used market so I
thought someone here might be interested. It's posted here:

http://tinyurl.com/3hsfk

and his direct contact address is:

guymancuso@xxxxxxx

Enjoy!/Scott Gardner