[LRflex] Re: Ektar film

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:55:49 -0800 (PST)

My limited experience with Ektar films suggested that it was a very good film
for prints with exceptional colour saturation, sharpness and all of those good
things. What I've found with scans is that the highlites often go to very high
values where there is no detail. Scans of low contrast slides or negs seem to
come out very well, indeed.
I used to print Cibachrome and the same problem can also occur there. The
really advanced printers use colour masking to bring the highlites into line
and to also insure that the shadows have adequate detail. Unfortunately, I
don't know enough about the scanning process to do more than to report my
experience.
My strategy with colour photography is to choose low contrast subjects.

Dave, in Clearwater, BC