[LRflex] EVFs (was Re: Z + N ...)

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 07:23:47 -0400

> From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:22:35 -0400
>
> On Jun 7, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Herman Kempers
> <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I rather sure i will never buy/use a camera who can only work this
>> way.
>>

>> best herman
>
> Which is why I made no comment one way or the other on the merits of
> Sony's decision to move away from SLR Viewing Systems.
> Their decision seems to be a Zero Sum Equation situation to my eyes.
> The benefits an EVF brings with it come at the expense of losing what
> Ground Glass Viewfinders provide.
> I really am intrigued by EVF SLR type cameras for the new, techy,
> things they provide - especially for video shooting, but they are
> handicapped versus traditional designs. Yet, SLR Viewfinders have
> been shaped, molded, and improved, over 7+ decades so imho opinion
> they should be really good at this point. Give EVF's some more time
> to mature and who knows where things might go with em.
>
> R in Mi.

For the period of the '70s through the '90s I shot a lot of pro video, and
those cameras only offered EVFs, of course. Since video cameras were
introduced in the late 1920s, EVFs have had over 7+ decades of development,
too.  ;-)

I'm somewhat surprised that some of the features of the pro video EVFs
haven't made their way into today's digital cameras, since they provided a
way of "seeing" the nuances of an image, allowing in-camera adjustments
prior to the "take".

--
best regards,

Neil