[LRflex] Re: Color Consistency

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:53:43 -0800

That is the impression I got by reading the first few posts.

Aram

Aram Langhans

(Semi) Retired  Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

“The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream.”   James D. Watson

>Now. We may be having a semantic problem William.

>We may be saying and understanding the same thing; simply using confusing
>terms.

On Jan 20, 2015, at 7:41 PM, William Abbott <bill2301@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:bill2301@xxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

George,

Thank you for your opinion.

With all due respect, Edwin Land showed that color is constructed in the brain,
not by the spectrum of light entering our eyes.

Please have a look at "Color Notions":

https://vimeo.com/11932120

Thanks,

Bill

On Jan 20, 2015, at 17:25, George Lottermoser <george.imagist@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:george.imagist@xxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

I disagree William.
I've studied color and color illusions since art school in 1964;
and taught color theory at Columbia College Chicago.

Our eyes compensate to give us the "perception" of consistency across a scene.
But the camera and other instruments such as spot meters, color meters,
reflection densitometers, etc. will reveal the vast discrepancies which our
eyes will "overlook."

a note off the iPad, George

On Jan 20, 2015, at 6:24 PM, William Abbott <bill2301@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:bill2301@xxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

The camera does not have color consistency across a scene, but our eyes do.