[LRflex] ChuckWagons

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:50:19 -0700

Last set of shots from the Barrier Fall Fair & Rodeo...

This first shot is one which I share with you, out of amazement, rather than for it's photographic merit....

In the last event of the day, the heavy-horse pull, a team of two horses must pull a "stone boat" (a flat bottomed, steel sled without wheels) 14 feet (4.26 meters) without setting a foot outside a pair of ropes spaced 10 feet (3 meters) apart. The winning pair, a set of Percheron/Belgian/Arab cross's, successfully pulled 4218 kg, (9,300 pounds) the full distance! Sadly, the light was too low, by that point, even for ISO 3200. Here, however, is one of the runners up, pulling hard.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Heavy_Horse_Pull.htm

The penultimate event of the day was the pony chuckwagon races.

Although I got several good shots of them, the chuckwagons are not as fast as the chariots, despite having 4 horse teams. They don't throw as much mud, and so, in a still photo, it's hard to get the same sense of speed.

This is my favourite shot, of this event.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/chuckwagon.htm

Comments, criticism welcomed, as always.

Thanks for looking!