[LRflex] Re: Bob's Redpoll photos

  • From: bob palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 13:06:03 -0500

From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Bob's Redpoll photo (was: Re: Re: leicareflex Digest V6

Bob, I wonder if your Michigan Redpoll is a Hoary? I don't know either species very well but if this is different from the more southern bird I'd have to start thinking about Hoary :-)

Well... this Hoary business is something best left to you real birders; me, I just try to snap 'em.

In fact, when I shot the Indiana birds (which are probably female in contrast to the Male Michiganders) there was one subject that Ruthie really thought was a contender for this Hoary appellation:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/109113003

And David Young wrote:

Good Mornin' Bob!

I find that branches "in the way", are often the death knell for a
shot.  But this one, with it's one, big branch, does not seemed to be
harmed, in the least.

I had another case in the Indiana shoot where I was going for this two-bird-bodies-in-the-frame-for-compositional-balance thing that I'm fond of where I just hadta say bird-bod-bisecting-branch be damned, it's close enough for my standards:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/109113004

And while we're on the subject of the Sliding Scale of Standards here's a pair of snaps shot in the seconds preceding the original post where I think I kindof missed the focus a bit (in addition to pretty problematic branch clutter) but the coloring on the chest is nice to look at:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/109930055

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/109930056

The second one comes closest to showing the iridescent forehead spot that some of these birds had; it reminded me of the ones we see on Anna's Hummingbirds.

Anyway, thanks for real for looking at the first one, and for your very kind words.

Bob Palmieri