[LRflex] Re: Bluedot Frustration...Second update & sample.

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:59:37 -0600

Hi David,

> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:09:28 -0800
> From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> All:
>
> I keep examining old shots, looking for the now infamous "blue dot"
> or, more properly "Blue Smudge".
>
> I have found about a dozen shots (which, out of 10,000+ is not a big
> number, but it is still annoying.
>
> What I have determined is that, for me, it only occurs with the
> 80~200/4 Vario.
>
> I get it (a) with filter, (b) with close-up lens (either Nikon or
> Elpro achromats) or (c) no filter.  Always dead center of the frame,
> and always blue.
>
> Examination of the shots shows that it never happens in  bright
> sunlight ... only with heavy overcast, or indoors, in the shade!

Common to both of your examples is a diffused bright white background. Is
this the same with the other "blue dot" shots that you have? If so, it
would be interesting to see if you could get a blue dot when using a UV
filter. Beyond that, I think you have "ironed down" the nature of the
problem and can avoid it in the future.

Best regards,

Neil