[LRflex] Re: Bluebird Fight Shots (Philippe Amard)

  • From: bob palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 12:27:09 -0500

On May 21, 2008, Philippe Amard wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/fighting_bluebirds

Interesting also is the fight - I posted what I called a dogfight last
year - but yours is much sharper and in the second picture, the bird on
top looks very elegant, as if it were bowing to the other one, with a
feathered hat, and a long sword by its side. Musketeer?

Philippe -

Yeah; y'know... these shots are about a couple of things to me. One is the almost-impossible-to-resist tendency to project human characteristics onto the birds.

The other is that, like a lot of stuff I shoot, these are just my attempts to do a (weak) version of a photo that I really loved after seeing it in an Edgerton exhibition a few years back called "Fighting Finches" - a B&W shot from the late '30's. In fact, this one is #1 on my hit list of photos I need to own; I've only seen it come up for sale once since I first saw it and I was too late...

Bob Palmieri