[LRflex] Angenieux 70X3 Zoom / Scanned Medium Format vs Leica Digital Module-R

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:52:59 -0800

Bonjour Philippe, et Joyeaux Nouvelle Ann=E9e aussi!

Hope you will let us know your impressions once you get your results
from shooting with your new Angenieux 70X3 Zoom lens!  Merci beaucoup
again for telling us about posting photos on the Leica Users' Gallery
which has an excellent user interface for a free site!

Thanks to you and Brian for your honest opinion about my photos; BTW
Brian, admittedly, I did feel like I was using the Konica Hexar RF
like a point-n-shoot over Thanksgiving in Hangzhou....isn't that the
case when traveling with family and they always want pictures of
themselves, and you're on a tour so there's really no time for
immaculate compositions?  In those sad times, I try to hope for the
best and prepare for the worse...hahaha!

In reference to Philippe's observations, the film used in the
Leicaflex SL 'Sakura' shots in Japan were Kodacolor Gold 400ASA and
the month was April, hence the light was nice and bright.  The
Hangzhou photos were with Fujicolor 200 and taken in November, in
either overcast or early morning light. I attribute the noted
differences to mostly the quality of the light and not so much the
film, and of course Leica glass cannot be blamed otherwise I would be
considered a heretic on this forum ;-) !

To illustrate that the film choice is not the culprit, here are a few
shots taken with Fujicolor 200 using the Leicaflex SL and Apo-Telyt
180/3.4 in sunny conditions:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Mendocino/3A_web
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Mendocino/30A_web

In my opinion, and also the photo lab, Kodak film (even 200ASA) at the
same 'grocery store' price point as Fuicolor film is a lot grainier
and hence not as good for scanning and enlargements.  In Europe, Agfa
Optima is readily available as an over the counter 35mm film, and I am
curious if anyone has experience with scanning these color negatives?

On the other hand, I love Kodak Portra 160VC, esp. when in the 120 or
220 medium format mode.  IMHO, it is still at least 3X less expensive
to shoot and scan medium format on a circa 1960's Rolleiflex twin lens
reflex camera, than to buy a Leicaflex R8/9 with the Digital
Module-R....or jump into the CanoLeica paradigm at closer to 1:1
cropping (i.e. Canon 5D in today's market is still $3000).

Philippe, here's the spot on the world wide web where I post my
unfettered (read that as traveling by myself for photography's sake)
travel photos using the Rolleiflex (mostly moyen format).=20
Compositionally, you may approve of the lack of tourists in the scenes
of Alsace (120/220) and Provence (35mm): http://www.travelife.com.

Finalement, here's an interesting site I came across recently that may
be interesting for you and other Francophones/Francophiles re: hi-res
photography.
http://www.galerie-photo.com/index.html
If you already have "been there, done that", please forgive my intrusion.

Wishing everyone the Best Shot that is Yet to Be, hopefully in 2006!
Eric