[LRflex] Re: Alternate body for 40mm Summicron-C ?

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:10:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi eric;
thanks for the suggestions. Although it's not as small, I've decided to use my
40 mm on a Leica M2 that I've owned since 1969. I have to flip the preview
lever, on this baby, but that's not a big deal. The advantages...bombproof
reliability and somewhat reduced size.
I once had a Leica CL but, I wasn't impressed with it's construction quality
and I had heard that the meter lever had a habit of hanging up, requiring
repairs. So, I sold it. But...sell my Summicron-CL, never !

I had been looking for a proper filter to protect the front lens element and,
after digging through the many online discussions, I learned a couple of ways
of tackling the issue. Much to my surprise, when I called a camera shop in
Vancouver the other day, I discovered that they not only had a 39mm skylite
(which I was ready to dismantle in order to fit the bare piece of glass into
the C's filter holder) but THEY HAD A SERIES 5.5 orange filter. I bought both
for $10 apiece. Since I shoot primarily B&W, the 5.5 orange filter could stay
on the lens all the time with a bit of derating insofar as film speed.

I felt as though I had won the lottery.

I have taken a few mountain shots with the C and,,  when I look at them, the
detail seems as though it had been etched onto the film. Mind you, other Leica
lenses perform similarly but i sometimes I think twice about taking my 35mm
Summicron ASPH everywhere. Such is the tragedy of owning expensive equipment.

I enjoyed your shots but I'm not sure that the 72dpi screen resolution could
ever do justice to leica lenses. Loved the shot of moss on the trees.

Carpe diem,
Dave

    * From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
    * To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    * Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 19:09:15 -0800 (PST)

David Simms wrote:
"Unfortunately, Gerry told me that the cost of such a conversion and the
difficulty of getting it to work with the 3F rangefinder would make such a
venture quite impractical. Any comments ?"

http://www.flickr.com/gift/