[LRFlex] Re: Alpa Reflex

  • From: "Peter M.C. Werner" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 06:45:41 +0100

Hi everybody,

> what advantages the camera offers when compared to the ease of use of
> more traditional SLR ( in this case the R8/R9 ) with Leica glass.
> I would be very grateful if you could share more of your experiences
> with the Alpha with us.

Why still use an Alpa Reflex today ?

1) Some fantastic glass that will not fit any other body :

- Macro Switar http://www.alpareflex.com/Lenses/KernSwitars.htm
- Kinoptik http://www.alpareflex.com/Lenses/Kinoptik.htm
- Angénieux http://www.alpareflex.com/Lenses/Angenieux.htm

2) Alpa Reflexes (from Model 9 onwards) can use a vast array of foreign
glass while keeping auto-diaphragm and easy TTL-metering. The Alpa
Reflex has the shortest flange-to-film distance of any SLR:
The R flange-to-film distance is 47.00 mm. Nikon F is 46.50. Alpa is
37.80. This makes it possible to use adapters for many foreign lenses.
There are adapters for

- Leica R,
- Nikon F,
- M42,
- Exacta,
- Yashica/Contax

All of these will preserve auto-diaphragm operation and easy
TTL-metering.

3) "... the ALPA was designed for an exacting and methodical scientific
user accustomed to the standards of laboratory instruments and appealed
to other photographers who enjoy a beautifully engineered, heavy and
immensely versatile camera..." (Ivor Matanle Collecting and Using
Classic SLRs Thames and Hudson, London)

It is built like a tank and has a wonderful feeling in your hands. While
this is subjective, like appreciating a Leica MP, Leicaflex SL, or
Contarex, it should appeal to Leica users.

Thanks for the interest in Alpa Reflexes

Peter
http://www.alpareflex.com

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm