[LRflex] Re: Aerial Photography

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:42:36 -0500

Ted Grant wrote:
> From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> Subject: [LRflex] Re: Aerial Photography
> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:56:57 -0800
>
>Jeff,
>Hundreds and hundreds of rolls of Kodachrome under all kinds of conditions
>from the air, land and sea.
>Never thought of using anything else but Kodachrome.
>
>In your case if you have a clear fine sunshine nice day blast away with
>Kodachrome, don't even think about it as long as you can maintain the high
>shutter speeds. Remember at least a 1/500th shutter speed or higher.
>
>Kodachrome was nearly the only colour film I shot for years on assignment
>when I wasn't shooting a B&W documentary.
>
>And yes I'd take along some other glass just in case, as it isn't any
>different than being on the ground. I'd certaily have the 90mm just in case.
>

>Look the shake problem isn't a big deal at all! It depends on what kind of
>plane.....  helicopters create some extra  vibration, but even then it's no
>big deal if you hold your camera properly with high shutter speeds. Fixed
>wing planes are a piece of cake any time. Unless flying over the Prairies in
>summer when you have lots of turbulence. Then don't go unless you can handle
>being bumped about in the sky from thermals, in that case have a barf bag
>handy just in case.  I've shot sunsets while slide slipping towards the
>setting sun and sky at 1/25 and they were beautiful.
>
>And if your pilot buddy is Ok with it.... take the door off! Much better
>opportunity for better photographs.
>Don't think about the negatives you've read, think photography, high shutter
>speeds and have a good time.
>
>Good luck and certainly good flying.
>cheers,
>ted

Ted,

Then K64 it is until my freezer is bare! Thanks for the advice. I've
been told to take the window off, my pilot friend will be OK with that.
Now the door is another matter!

BTW, I really enjoyed your DVD.

Jeff Gluck

Sonny wrote:

>Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:26:17 -0600
>Subject: [LRflex] Re: Aerial Photography
>From: Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>If the airplane is a  small Cessna, the right window strut can be disengaged
>before takeoff with a phillips screwdriver, then, when in the air, you can
>open the window, and it will  move up alongside the wing out of your way.
>The airstream will hold it up.
>I would also take a 35mm lens  if you have it.  The 135 will probably be
>totally useless, I doubt if you'll do any good with the 90.
>
> Try to go up right after a cold front has passed to avoid haze, which can
>settle quickly in a place like NYC.  Of course, you'll need filtration for
>haze otherwise, but it won't help much at any altitude.
>
>Be careful up there.

Sonny,

I'm pretty sure it's a Cessna, but I'll find out. I kind of figured the
135 would be useless but I thought the 90 might be of help. Frankly, I'd
rather not have to fiddle changing lenses too much, if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Jeff Gluck