[LRflex] A lesson in dealing with loss

  • From: Joel Turrell <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:32:25 -0400

> Subject: [LRflex] A lesson in dealing with loss - CVS stops in-store film
> proce
>
> I used to take C-41 film processing for granted.  Until yesterday.

Hi, All,
 I'm breaking my silence to chime in on Eric's experience. I'm in Central PA
(Lewisburg, home of Bucknell and The Big House), and we lost our two CVS
processors more than a year ago. Wally still does it, but I have to drive to
the edge of town, 10 min. away, and each time I ask the ladies if this is the
last time they'll be taking care of me. They sense the end coming, but don't
know when. When in Florida in February, I had great results with Dale
Laboratories in Hollywood, but I wouldn't call it cheap. They have free
mailers, the works, they are available on the phone to discuss what you're
sending, and they are a Leica dealer. But there's a noticeable time lag due to
the USPS.

I'm just going to open my film camera collection to the public, call it a
museum, and charge admission. There are Retinas, Canon breech mount and screw
mount, and TLRs lying around all over the place. While all of them folks will
be allowed to hold and play with, the Leicas (M3, CL, SL, R3, R4, and R8s) will
be off limits behind glass. Do I sound bitter?

By the way, Eric's note contained an ironic note for someone who grew up in the
Postwar era, less than an hour south of Binghamton, NY -- "ansco". There was
always Ansco film at the corner store, competing with Kodak. My dad's best
friend owned an Ansco Reflex, which was quite a camera, although not as good as
my dad's Rollei 2.8.

Joel Turrell