[LRflex] Re: 50 Summi vs 90 Elmarit Discrepancies

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:14:02 -0700 (PDT)

The longer focal length means that the DOF is much thinner with the 90mm than
with the 50mm. So, the images will pop in and out of focus much more
aggressively. (you should see what happens with the 180 mm APO Telyt !!) I have
both lenses and, on film, I find it hard to choose one above the other. On the
other hand, on the MTF graphs, the Elmarit does noticeably better. To see the
difference in actual use, I'm sure that one would have to use each lens on a
tripod and then compare the results side-by-side.
Basing your judgment on sequential use of the lenses would tend yield a more
subjective opinion of their performances.
Dave, Clearwater, BC