[LRFlex] 20D vs. K64

  • From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:28:19 -0500

Y'all -

Well... I had planned to post a little comparison, seeing as how I shot an iris a coupla weeks ago through my 60 Macro-Elmarit with both the 20D and an SL loaded with Kodachrome 64.

Unfortunately, what I see through the low and high-powered magnifiers on the lightbox just doesn't seem reproducible, at least not with my Epson 4870 and my limited skillset in scanning. Do any of you have any quick tips in terms of scanning software and profiling that might allow me to give the slide a fair shake? Maybe I oughtta just take it over to the lab for a drumscan....

Because after passing through my scanner the results come out clearly in favor of the digibox. And, truth be told, at 30x magnification the grain in the 'chrome doesn't look all that great, compared to the smoothness of the Canon RAW file.
But the slide has a gorgeous 3D sculpted lusciousness that I doubt I can get from the Canon's files...

This little experience has also made me realize how long it's been since I actually viewed slides projected with good gear in a dark room...

Bob Palmieri