interest poll: custom QR plate

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:24:49 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I've been privately discussing with another list member a custom ARCA-style QR
plate that we'd both like to have made and before we contact the shops that are
likely to do the work we'd like to see how many others would be interested in
the plate.

Some background:  I've been using an off-the-shelf QR plate on a first-version
14188 shoulder stock (shown at http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/560r68.jpg).
This shoulder stock has a 1/4" threaded hole in the large flat vertical bar
where I've attached the QR plate.  I've been using this with a monopod topped
with a tilt head and QR clamp for many of my wildlife photos and while it has
provided many benefits there are still some drawbacks, primarily the
early-style shoulder stock's lack of adjustments.

I'd much rather use the third-version 14188 shoulder stock
(http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/400r68.jpg) because its vastly improved
adjustment controls make it much more comfortable to use, however I haven't
found an off-the-shelf QR plate I can use on it.  This shoulder stock has a
1/4" threaded hole at the angled base of the handgrip where the QR plate would
be attached.

How many others would be interested in this QR plate?  Is there someone on the
list who can and is willing to fabricate this?  I was thinking of asking SK
Grimes, Wimberley and RRS but I'd rather keep the job in the "family".

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com