Under the stars... July 4h.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:58:20 -0700

Here, in Logan Lake, we started our Canada Day celebrations, a wee bit early with an outdoor Cinema, under the stars, the night of June 30th.

These are not great photographs ... more of the "record" variety. However, I thought many of you might find them interesting, for this is the technology which is reviving the concept of the outdoor, drive-in theatre.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Cinema.htm

The screen is a 10 meter (3 story) tall, inflatable unit, from Germany. The movie is projected with a High Definition Digital projector from an HD-DVD - all mounted atop a trailer. Our sound was from two small-ish speakers which provided surprisingly good quality sound to the entire park. (As a 30 year veteran of the audio biz, I was most impressed!)

Apparently, when they set up in shopping mall parking lots, they use a low power FM transmitter, and send the sound via the viewer's car radios... slick!

Anyway, we watched Ben Stiller in "A Night at the Museum", and it was most entertaining. The last half of the movie was accompanied by lighting on all sides , but far enough away that we could not hear the thunder.

In all, a very nice way to usher in our National Day.

I hope that all our cousins, south of the 49th parallel, have as wonderful a day, on July 4th, as we did, on the first!

Happy Independence Day!

David & Rose.
---

David Young,