RE: Truck-Driver

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:27:17 -0700

Ted Grant wrote:
David Young offered:
Subject: Truck-Driver
Truck:
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/truck.htm
Driver:
<http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Driver.htm%3c%3c%3c%3c>http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Driver.htm<<<<

Oh you are a sneaky devil slipping that in! J
However very well done and one might say, a damn fine looking truck driver! J
ted

Good Mornin' Ted.

I'd like to say that Debbie is not your average truck driver... but the reality is, at HVC, at least, she is. About 30 to 35% of the driver are women!

(Perhaps you could do a book ... Women in Mining! ;-) Naw... scratch that ... that sounds more like the title of a photo spread in "Playboy"!)

I was asked to provide 20 slides of the area, for use in a presentation which will precede a "Men of the Deeps" http://www.menofthedeeps.com/ concert, to be held here, next month. (The MOTD often appear on the Rita McNeil TV specials.)

The stipulation was that at least 6 of the shots should be of the mine, as they are subsidizing the concert.

This, of course, meant spending a day at the Highland Valley Copper mine... one of the largest open pit mines in the world. Fortunately, last Friday, I was able to tag along with two film crews, doing documentaries for the mine's owners, Teck-Cominco. We six were given 4 guides, two trucks and a bus and could go anywhere we asked. They brought Debbie, and her freshly washed truck, out on parade for us, and stopped mine machinery that normally works 24/7... getting the drivers to swing buckets this way and that, so that they were the most photogenic. We clambered through ball mills and over some of the largest mining machines in the world. And, of course, we spent a lot of time touring their reclamation projects, of which they are justly proud.

Truly a rare opportunity... and a most enjoyable day.

Thanks for our kind comment.

Cheers!

---

David Young,