The Trickster

  • From: Mark <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paw@xxxxxxxxxxxx,digitalusersgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:02:05 -0800

Coyote and Raven were forever trying to put one over on humans. Today, coyotes survive in ever-decreasing territory as humans build and fence more of it.

This guy was running around the Santa Cruz Mountains' Russian Ridge Open Space Preserve the day after the Solstice. I'd seen him or a relative before. He looks better fed than the scrawnier individuals I've seen closer to human development in Northern California - there's probably more food higher up. Coyotes hunt in packs, but there was no sign of any other individuals.

http://tinyurl.com/2gnhfk Scanning for prey
http://tinyurl.com/24repl Stalking
http://tinyurl.com/25nklm Looking at the photographer
http://tinyurl.com/2aj3gb Watching