The Bar Head

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:06:39 -0700

Rose's daughter came to me, about 2 1/2 hours ago, breathlessly announcing that there were two unusual geese down at Maggs Park.

Naturally, Telyt in hand, I had to investigate... and they turned out to be Bar Headed Geese.

At first I thought that meant they came from Barhead, Alberta, but I discovered that they are native to Central Asia, flying over the Himalayas to winter in India & Burma. How they came to be in Logan Lake is a mystery to me!

They're nasty fellas, though... If the normally tough Canada Geese, with whom they're hanging out, get too close, the Bar Heads nip at the Canuck Honkers and the Canada Geese jump right out of their way!

My first decent shot is shown here... though the highlights are blown in the .jpg, they are not so in the .tif and .dng files. I'll try to do better, when I have more time, tomorrow. I may add one or two more shots, at that time, as well.

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/barhead_goose.htm

Comments, good or bad, appreciated, as always.

Cheers!

---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA