RE: Spidy

  • From: Gary Pinkerton <gpinkcp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:52:23 -0500

Lovely shot, Sonny.
A fun flower to shoot for sure; my Mom used to have scads of these.
garyp

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:17:25 -0500From: sonc.hegr@xxxxxxxxxxx:
leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Spidy
There's a bunch of kinds of Spider Lily, but in these parts, Lycoris radiata is
the main one.  I photograph them every year, because they are so hard to shoot,
I never seem to get the perfect shot of them.  I understand they are called the
Hurricane Lily in Florida, because they bloom at the height of hurricane
season.  That makes sense, because they seem to bloom right after heavy rains.
The flowers have no seeds, and grow from bulbs; they're just here to be pretty.
They grow across the South, (I see they do pretty well in Tennessee,)  and are
originally native to Japan.Here's my first try of the fall.
http://www.sonc.com/spidy_2008.htmFor a view of them at the Wells-Tauzan house,
 the oldest house in Natchitoches, click here:http://www.sonc.com/lily.htm--
Regards,Sonnyhttp://www.sonc.comNatchitoches, LouisianaUSA