RE: Speaking of M. Johnson See: Leica M Article

  • From: "Barry Fisher" <uhooru@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:08:28 -0800

If I can be presumptious, (just for second), I just want to say I think this
is a great post that puts everything in the right perspective.  I have a
guy, professional commercial shooter for 30 years. Talked to him last year
and he said, I only shoot film, I've done it for 30 years its what I know, I
love the dark room etc. etc. Well he stills does a lot of his work in film,
and loves it, but he has, at middle aged photographer, discovered digital
and now is scanning and shooting and learning how to print inkjet really
well. He did his current portfolio in inkjet and believe me, it is fabulous,
but he spends as much time on an ink jet print as he would in the darkroom
to get it right.  Then again, he has an upcoming assignment where he is
going to be using an 8x10 view camera with sheet film.  I think its truly
exciting times to be involved in photography. I just hope, and trust, that
the digital rush won't wipe away film completely and I really don't think it
will. I haven't bought a digicam yet but I'm sure I will at some point,
especially if I can use the lenses I have now that I love, ie Summicron 35
and 50. Actually, the other reason I'm posting is because of the irony that
I'm in the process of buying a Hassy as I've been required to shoot medium
format and found that I really do love that big neg. It doesn't replace my
Leica, that's for sure, but for a certain type of work I want to do, its
great.
Sorry for the ramble, I just was inspired by Ted's post.

Regards
Barry Fisher