OT: exposure when scanning xPan negatives

  • From: brad daly <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leg <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, cv <CosVoigtUser@xxxxxxxxxx>, paw@xxxxxxxxxxxx, streetphoto@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 07:35:47 -0600

i'm having a little difficulty scanning xPan negatives and am wondering if anyone around here can give me some pointers.

using a nikon coolscan 4000 and nikon scan. i'm scanning xPan negatives in two halves and then "photomerging" them in photoshop. i have learned that, if i use autoexposure, often the two halves of an image will get different ideal exposures and, when merged, not match. in order to avoid this, and in accordance with some advice i've read on various message boards, i've been scanning with autoexposure turned off. when i do this, however, the exposure an color balance are WAY off. does anyone have a method for working around this, possibly a way to get the scanner to take an exposure for one half and use it for the other? any other suggestions.

best,
brad

--
brad daly
brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx

What Would Bill Hicks Say?

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government."
--Woody Allen