RE: No enthusiasm for the LEG?

  • From: Allen Graves <ahgraves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 22:29:50 -0500

I think that Palatki is one of the more ignored great sites in the southwest, and I hope it stays that way. While on the "tour" there with one of the rangers ( who was one of the people who restored/stabilized it, my kids found a few fairly large shards of Sinaguan red and black pottery and handed it to him. Left him a bit slack-jawed. Said they were worth > $500 on the open market and my kids (without prompting) said "But they belong here!"

You really have the feeling there that the inhabitants there just left a few years ago. It really gave them an appreciation for the old culture there.

Allen

Eastern Montana is (I think) Unabomber territory so I hope to 'retire' to western Montana, maybe near the National Bison Refuge or Glacier NP. It's far enough away from urban crazies I shouldn't have to worry, and wildlife abounds:
http://www.mountain-and-desert.com/MissnVlyMT2.htm

It's either that or somewhere in the U.S. Four Corners area so I can shoot more Sinagua and Anasazi ruins:
http://www.mountain-and-desert.com/GCNP_&_AZ/AZ_other/Palatki_Ruin_sky.htm
(Leica M6 TTL and 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH)

At 12:53 PM 5/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
Hey, I only have guns because the bad guys have them. If they promise to
give up theirs, I'll get rid of mine. ;-)

On a somber note, someone my age and appearance was shot in the head
last night while leaving the Jazz Fest, a refrain that is getting all
too familiar down here. Sometimes I get nervous walking around with an
M3 in this city, but then I have to remind myself that I'm just as
likely to get killed for pocket change. I hope some day to retire up in
Sonny's neck of the woods, get a sailboat, and do all of my shopping at
WalMart (which I think is the only store in that city).

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA

-----Original Message----- From: leica-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:leica-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On

Mark Bohrer www.mountain-and-desert.com Adventure travel and wildlife photography