Re: Nathan's PAW 39: A brief visit to Copenhagen

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:36:07 -0700

Nathan Wajsman said and showed:
Subject: Nathan's PAW 39: A brief visit to Copenhagen

Now I am fully caught up with the PAW!<<<<<<<<<<<

Last Monday I had a meeting in Copenhagen, so I flew up there Sunday and spent a pleasant afternoon and evening in the company of some friends, and walking around the city a bit.

I started by visiting the Polish Jews' Club, of which my late father was an active member. They were having a pre-Rosh Hashanah get-together, and I timed my arrival strategically so that I would miss the various speeches etc. but still get the falafel :-) I also snapped some pictures of the members. These people are mostly in their 80s or even 90s, and for many the club is their only social activity. They have lived a hard life, surviving the war and then Communism, and are now living out their remaining years in the comfort of Denmark. Here are a couple of animated conversations:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_39.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_39alt1.jpg

Hi Nathan,
You've got to be one of the best walk about find people pictures while capturing interesting moments I've seen. You visit some place and in short order you're showing some very fine photographs of people in conversation, heated or otherwise. Quite an amazing talent for seeing and capturing body language.

These are just wonderful moments of complete communication between two people. Look at the faces of the men, eyes intense and a slight shape change in the mouth illustrating an active moment in speaking. Like they are not just sitting there looking at each other.

Not only that, it's the finger of the man on the right extended in a pointing fashion to make his point. Now I'm not saying this is something we actually relate to as we shoot this type of picture, but it's your ability to capture the magical moment of all this activity going on that many others just don't do due to their inability to read body language and the action going on as slight as it maybe.

http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_39alt1.jpg<<<

Similarly so with the women in conversation. Simple seeing and re-acting to a split second moment. A good lesson illustrated in this scene for others to learn from.

When people are engaged in heavy conversation and if you use your camera quickly, like don't stand there fiddling and farting about setting and focusing, one can capture moments like this all over the place. An active mind while in conversation or engaged in activity is generally a piece of cake to shoot, that is if you can read body language and don't take 5 minutes or more standing there setting, focusing, worrying about exposure and all that other stuff you should have done before thinking about making the exposure.

In your case this is all done in a warp-time moment of seeing and doing! Other's can learn if they stop thinking about the shot and just, " see -- shoot! " :-)

The weather was nice and warm, a rare event in Copenhagen in late September, so people were out and about in the city enjoying the sunshine. The following 3 images are from a street called Gammel Strand, which is one of my favourite streets in Copenhagen since it has a good photo gallery and bookshop and a dedicated beer shop with an incredible selection.
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_39alt2.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_39alt3.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_39alt4.jpg

In each of these three the same comment as above apply with the "seeing-re-act" being paramount for success. Also looks like a couple of shots for the bicycling series. :-)

And finally, on the way home Monday evening, this scene at Copenhagen airport:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_39alt6.jpg <<<<<<<<<<

"Seeing and doing!" Not anything else to add because it's, "see-shoot!" "What else does one want, a polished invitation to take picture?"

As usual, "a good on you" for some smart picture taking.
ted