My, what big ears you have - Re: Portrait of an Elk, as a young beast...

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:40:03 -0700

David:
Critters in the antlered family always have that great earspread. Very nice closeup - the youngster's curiosity helped, but your calmness must have contributed.

I love cervids. This guy's all ears:
http://www.mountain-and-desert.com/Wildlife/Mammals/Antlered/DML-AR-MD0145-5.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6z3zq

And if this guy's antlers didn't distract you, he'd have the TV 'rabbit-ears' look too:
http://www.mountain-and-desert.com/Wildlife/Mammals/Antlered/Cr_DML-AR-BP0274.htm
http://tinyurl.com/8vb75

At 08:52 AM 10/16/2005, you wrote:
Elk rut in the fall and give birth to their young in the spring.
This shot, taken just a 10 days ago, is of an elk (Elklette? Just what do you call a baby elk?) who was suckling his mother, just moments before, so he (she?) was obviously born in the very late spring.

Having discovered me, he was a curious about me, as I was about him.

This curiosity can be seen at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/elklette.htm

Comments, criticism appreciated, as always....

Thanks for looking.

PS: does anybody here know the species of Elk found in the Banff/Jasper area? I'd always understood they were transplanted Roosevelt Elk, but all the references I can find say they're Rocky Mountain Elk. Expertise appreciated!

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC

Mark Bohrer