RE: Long-eared Owl (Asio otis)

  • From: "Gary Pinkerton" <gpinkcp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:34:53 -0600

Hey Doug
I think this is pretty doggone good; maybe could use a tad more contrast but man I sure would be happy if it was mine.
GaryP

From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Long-eared Owl (Asio otis)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 05:16:12 -0800

This one needs a few disclaimers.  Maneuvering an 800mm lens and hefty
tripod through a dense patch of woods is no picnic, especially when the
subject is doing its best to keep a significant screen of branches between
itself and the hairy two-legged creature.  Technically...  let's just say I
won't be manking any big prints of this photo.

Without further ado, my Long-eared Owl photo:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/leow01.html

Hardware, etc: Leicaflex SL2, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt, 1.4x APO-Extender-R, Provia
400F film. Exposure was probably 1/15 sec with mirror pre-release.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com