Re: Leica Financial news...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:52:39 -0700

At 23/05/2006, you wrote:

Thanks for the alert, David.

Though certainly better news, I wouldn't characterize
a loss of 9M Euros as "a good thing". Certainly better
than 18M, but not really very good. Hopefully the
losses are from one-time events that will allow
profitability next year. If it's a systemic loss
that's a whole 'nother ball game.

Anyone delve into the financials who can shed some
more detailed information?

Bob

My understanding, Bob, is that this loss was expected. They expect a smaller loss this year (due to the startup costs for the digi-M), but expect to turn a small profit in the year ending March 31, 2008. The theory is that larger profits should follow.

I also understand that the group of investors, SOCRATES Privatstiftung - who have taken financial control of Leica, have fairly deep pockets. They bought the firm at a fairly low price, because of its financial position, and have both the faith that things will improve and the willingness to wait for it to happen.

---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt