Re: IMG: Wedding guest with Leica

  • From: Mark Bohrer <markbohrer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 17:35:34 -0700

Peter:
I think the best wedding shot you showed is focus not perfect. You
captured great expressions in a peak moment. It tells a great wedding
story, from the bride and groom's expressions to the crowd's reactions.
The viewer's attention goes to the new couple at the center. You see
both bride's and groom's faces with no huge flashlit, out-of-focus heads
to distract you in the foreground.

In hidden talent, the onlooker's gaze at the flying morsel is crucial -
it reinforces the bridesmaid's concentration on that morsel.

When I shoot weddings, ordinations or any event where I need to be
quietly unobtrusive, I use an M6 or M7 with 35mm f/2 ASPH, 50mm f/1 and
90mm f/2.8 lenses. Later at the reception, I haul out the EOS 1D mk II
and EOS 20D with 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 24-70mm f/2.8L and 70-200mm f/2.8L
IS. I top the 1D mk II with a 550EX flash and use a Quantum Battery for
power.

Shooting weddings can be good training for any event - you can't ask
them to do it over or move. It's the same thing in sports - if you miss
the top-seed downhiller spewing dirt as he skids out of control into the
trees, you can't ask him to crash again just for you.

Mark Bohrer
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Wildlife on the urban edge

Peter Klein wrote:
The aforementioned guest was me.  I brought the M8 along, with 35/1.4
Summilux Asph and 50/2 Summicron.  Doing this renewed my respect for
wedding photographers. Moving targets, high-contrast subjects, the lighting
is what is is (or isn't), and you only get one chance for certain
shots.  And it's not nice to disrupt the ceremony or tackle guests who get
in your way.

Here's my favorite shot, which I deliberately converted to B&W:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004454BubbleDanceBW-w.jpg.html>
Original color:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004454-prf.jpg.html>

Focus not perfect, but I got the expression:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004437-prf.jpg.html>

This was done with flash through glass, again imperfect, but I like it:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004491-prf.jpg.html>

Couldn't have asked for a better day, with great views from the 17th floor
of a downtown Seattle building...
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004496-prf.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004498s-prf.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004513SoundSunset-w.jpg.html>

A bridesmaid's hidden talent:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AndiePeter/L1004509s-prf.jpg.html>

The pro hired for the wedding used two Nikon D3s, with a 24-70 (?) on one
and a 70-200 on the other. He told me he had just sold his M6 because he
simply didn't shoot film any more. I did not envy the weight he had to
carry, but I did envy his clean ISO 6400 and follow autofocus.

--Peter