Re: IMG: Rockers Update

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:58:35 +0100

Oh my gloriously misspent (no way!!) youth. Great shots - AGAIN!!

When German and French kids were into serious politics, we were all freaking out at concerts and festivals.

Like here in Bath, UK in 1970 - what a line-up!! - including the premiere of Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother (with brass band and orchestra) just before the sun came up on the second day. The following quote is from Wikipedia:

"The festival started at midday on the 27th (a Saturday) and finished at about 6:30 am on Monday morning. It featured a lineup of the top American west coast and British bands of the day, including Mothers of Invention, Santana, The Flock, Led Zeppelin (headlining act), Hot Tuna, Country Joe McDonald, Colosseum, Jefferson Airplane (set aborted), The Byrds (acoustic set), Moody Blues (unable to play), Dr. John (acoustic set), Frank Zappa, Canned Heat, It's a Beautiful Day, Steppenwolf, Johnny Winter, John Mayall, Pink Floyd, Fairport Convention, and Keef Hartley.[1][2] This lineup eclipsed the more famous Isle Of Wight festival held in August of the same year, but as it attracted less press coverage at the time and was a smaller affair, it has generally received less attention in the years since."

Although not billed, Donovan turned up unexpectedly and played a great impromptu set to fill in the time until the band's heavy trucks got through the narrow country roads.

The forgot one of the best acts - Maynard Ferguson with a jazz-rock ensemble - and the worst - a group by the name of Joe Jammer who filled in the gaps in the programme and were booed off stage by an audience of thousands after about their third set.

I must admit I wasn't disappointed that the Moodies couldn't play - their equipment got wet - but Jefferson Airplane's aborted set began so well.

There was even a small "fringe festival" in the car park with the Edgar Broughton Band and others (like Pink Fairies and Hawkwind) playing on the back of a truck.

Thanks for bringing back more memories
Douglas

Ric Carter wrote:
An update for my music photo gallery is in place.

Starting at the bookmark, right click through the photos, and you will see
Spirit, Pure Prairie League, Poco, and Tim Buckley.

Spirit is the last group here shot with the YashicaMat.

The next are taken with my first 35mm, a Fujica ST-701(likely) with (likely)
the Fujinon 50/1.8 and a Focal (Kmart) preset 200mm/4.5.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/
www.facebook.com/ric.carter

begin:vcard
fn:Douglas M. Sharp
n:Sharp;Douglas M.
org:30629 Hannover, Germany;Annette-Kolb-Strasse 29
email;internet:Douglas.Sharp@xxxxxx
title:G2E Translations
tel;work:0049 0511 9585565
version:2.1