Re: Digital leicas

  • From: Henning Wulff <henningw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:21:49 -0800

At 7:31 AM -0800 12/6/05, David Young wrote:

Henning Wulff wrote:

According to Stefan Daniels, some prototypes are taking shots already. It's supposed to be announced and deliverable by Photokina. We'll see.

Form factor of the M7, 1.5mm thicker due to 2.5" LCD on back; SD cards, LiIon battery, shutter essentially that of the R9 (1/8000 to speed) with motor cocking, sensor made by Kodak and firmware/electronics by German company, not Imacon due to problems with DMR quality control. 1.33 crop factor, 10.5 Mp, viewfinder with 5 or 6 line sets; all lenses except those that didn't work with the M5/CL are compatible. A new wide, probably 15, will be introduced to extend wideangle use, but will also cover film, so likely to be large and expensive (my guess; see 15 Distagon for Zeiss rangefinder). Price projected at this time: $5000 USD.

Good Mornin' Henning!

As one considering the DM-R (either that or a Canon 5D) to replace my LeiCanon 20D - can you elaborate on the " not Imacon due to problems with DMR quality control" phrase? Do you know what, if any, specific issues there are?

Many thanks.

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC CANADA.

Hi David,

Stefan didn't get very specific, only that Imacon could not deliver functioning components on time and in the quantities required, and at times a very high proportion - I believe he said over half - had to be returned. I think he mentioned this mainly to present a reason for switching 'partners', as he put it.

As for the 5D, remember that some of the Leica wides don't work on that camera without the application of the Dremel ointment on the mirror, so make sure that your intended lenses work, or that you have enough courage and a steady hand.

Also, consider that while the 400/6.8 works very well on the 20D, the outer zones fall off quite noticeably and you might be disappointed with the results on the 5D. You should try it before you commit yourself. You might find that you get no better performance overall from the 5D than from the 20D.

--
   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design